FOR LASER PRINTERS
Our Laser Printer Film is a heat-stable drafting film for the creation of film positives that are used when exposing the Ikonart Stencil Films. It is an economical alternative to more expensive orthochromatic film. Laser Printer Film offers excellent toner retention which keeps the black areas dense enough to block UV light during exposure.
Ikonart® Laser Film 8.5" x 11" Sheets - 2 Pack Sizes
Printing on Ikonart Laser Printer Film
1. Start with High Quality Artwork
The quality of your artwork is very important when it comes to how your final stencil will turn out. High density artwork that is 100% black with crisp edges will give you the best positive to block out the UV light.
2. Laser Printer Settings for High Density Printing
Every printer is different, but if your laser printer allows you to adjust quality settings, we recommend adjusting the quality print setting on your printer to "high quality" or "best quality". This will give you the most density when printing. Also make sure that your toner cartridge doesn't need to be replaced and adjust your paper type settings.
Here is an example of how to change the the print settings on your laser printer for best print results (options may vary depending on your printer):
- Click File and then click Print
- In the Print window, open the Properties (may be called Options, Printer Setup, or Printer Preferences)
- Under Paper Type, choose Coated Paper, Vellum, or Presentation Matte
- Under Print Quality, choose Best
- Under Color options, choose Black & White or Black Only (if that is an option)
- Under Printer Speed, choose the slowest option possible or uncheck any boxes that say fast or quick
3. Mirror Your Artwork
When printing with a laser printer you must mirror your artwork. Some artwork programs or printers have this option directly in the print dialog box. If your laser printer does not give you that option, you will need to mirror your artwork in your design program.
But why? Laser film positives are not as dense as inkjet film positives, so reflecting/mirroring your art helps to achieve a quality stencil with faster washout. When you mirror your artwork, it allows you to put the printed side of your printer transparency in contact with the emulsion side of the Ikonart Stencil Film, therefore creating a better seal between your artwork and stencil film, which will help to eliminate light from seeping in under the edges of your design.
4. Print on EITHER SIDE of the Laser Printer Film
When printing on the Ikonart Laser Printer Film you can print on either side of the film. Both sides of the film are the same.